Monday, March 25, 2013

Painting Nursery Furniture

Some of you may (or may not) know that we have been back at my mom's house...again...for the last few months. This time, waiting to be able to move into our new apartment which is being renovated! (Currently still unfinished while I only have 4 1/2 weeks to go! Stress...) Getting ready for a new home while getting ready for a new baby has been rough. I've hoarded baby stuff in one corner of our living space, while boxes of kitchen things, linens, and decor have been piled in another corner. For months! It's enough to drive a nesting preggo girl mad! So I've taken on some projects. Here are a couple before shots of our crib and dresser:




Here I had only sanded half of the dresser, just to show the difference.

The crib was my daughter's, and it converts to a toddler bed, and full sized bed as well. I was tired of the black, and it won't match anything in the room because Alexis's big girl bed is white. So since gray is one of the room colors, gray it will be.

We are still on the fence about whether or not we are going to paint the dresser. It was mine when I was a little girl, so I don't want to mess with it too much, and it's going to go in the closet so no one will really see it anyway. But in the off chance we might move it out of the closet and into the room, it would be nice if it matched. We'll see.

But here is the progress of the crib!


We decided to assemble the crib before painting. I had talked to several people about it before hand, and most said not to, but I went with my gut, and it worked out amazingly!


The paint we used was Valspar, in Stone Mason Gray, with a high gloss enamel finish. The guy at Lowes assured me that this would make it safe for the baby, even if he's chewing on it. So, guy at Lowes, if my son ends up with a mouthful of crib, it's on you! Ha!
Anyway, the kid's room is painted gray also, Almost Charcoal is the color, and I wanted this to be a little lighter.


I had been planning this for months just waiting for Cam and I to both be in the project-y mood to do it, and then I totally freaked out at the last minute! It must have been a pregnancy thing, but suddenly the thought of painting it and all the things that could go wrong made me not want to. Luckily my husband knows me better than that and got my head in the game.


Because I love it!


The color is exactly what I wanted, and I think Talon's new bedding will pop against it.
We finished the painting into 2 hours, and finished the second coat later that night in one hour. It was much quicker and smoother than I thought it would be!

NOTE: I'm not recommending painting your crib! I am pretty sure it voids the warranty, and as I said I'm going on what someone at Lowes told me, not the maker of the crib, as far as the safety of the paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment